Saturday, May 9, 2009

may's news

This year is really rolling along! I find it so hard to believe that the time is going so fast. It reminds me that each day is important and that I need to take advantage of each opportunity to share with others. Lately I have simply taken the idea that I’m here to simply be a friend to those that I know. That concept has helped me to understand that I don’t have to share stories about Jesus everywhere I go. I can’t control when others come to know Jesus as their Lord and Savior, but I can be a friend to those that I come in contact with. I enjoy being a friend and find it satisfying to be able to share more when the opportunity presents itself.

With that being said, I’m spending my days and weeks balancing my time with friends in the villages and here in Mekhe. 2-3 days a week I’ll go out to visit in a village. I have 4 that I go to regularly. When I visit, we typically have casual conversation while drinking tea. I’ve also been able to go and greet everyone in these villages when I do go. That takes awhile sometimes! Or when I’m visiting my friends in my neighborhood we simply talk together about the week, about family, and about life in Senegal. So many people want to go to America here that American culture and life constantly comes up in conversation. I share simple stories about my life growing up, and remind my friends that the life they have here is very good.

Pray for me as I continue these conversations with my friends. I enjoy talking with them all. Pray that I will find the energy to speak Wolof and venture out daily, and also pray that these conversations would lead to a time that I can share spiritual truth. Also, please pray for our Wolof team, that God will continue to use our efforts and show himself to our friends here in Senegal.

No comments: