Tuesday, April 28, 2009

so I waited...

Today was one of those days that you just have to laugh at what goes on around you. Although it wasn't enjoyable during this time, looking back later today I did have to laugh as I share the story.

Sunday as I hung out with a friend, I met one of his friends who is a mechanic. He told me anytime I had problems with my car I could take it to him and he would be happy to fix it. And I asked him if he could fix an air conditioner. My a/c is not cold anymore, and if I could get it fixed it'd probably be cheaper than my business office doing it in Dakar. So I planned to take it to him today. Well, after 3 hours of waiting, they finally came to me and told me that they needed to get some gas (I'm assuming this is freon) to charge it. He says he can fix it tomorrow. I'll take it to him again tomorrow afternoon and try this again.

During the time I did get to talk with a friend for awhile. We had a good talk catching up. It had been awhile since I had seen him. He's a national missionary living here in Ngaye. Since he's done a lot of traveling lately we had just missed each other lately. So it was nice to catch up on ministry stories, asking about family, and about some computer stories he had lately. I like listening to him talk-his Wolof is very clear. When I hear him speak I understand very well. Today was a good understanding day in Wolof, especially during this conversation.

Ok, back to more funny waiting. I decided that I was tired and wanted to try a new restaurant in a nearby town. I see this "restaurant-fast food" sign on the highway each time I pass through, and I wanted to see how the food was. Fast food here simply means hamburgers, fries, and sandwiches. It doesn't necessarily mean fast service. So I knew that going there, and I also knew that I arrived a little early. But what happened is not normal. When I arrived I greeted everyone and sat down to talk to everyone. During the conversation I did say that I had come for lunch and wanted to have a sandwich. 20 minutes later noone had brought me a menu or said anything about lunch coming. So I went to buy something and said that I'll eat when I get back. I returned, again asked for a sandwich, and again sat down and talked. While we all talked there were 3 of the workers busy cutting up potatoes for french fries. After another 30 minutes, I say that I'm going for a quick walk and will come back. I come back 2 minutes later, again go up to a lady, and say, "Ma'am, can you cook me a hamburger? I want to eat, I am hungry." "ok, it's coming," she promised. I never saw her for the next 40 minutes. Finally after waiting for a full hour and a half, I decide this is not worth it, and stand up to leave. I say goodbye to everyone. They didn't even ask or offer that lunch was coming-which is an oddity in this culture. I can't visit anyone here in town during the day without them asking me to stay for lunch or for supper. So I will never go back to this restaurant. I got back home, fixed a peanut butter sandwich, and took a nap. I was exhausted after all this waiting today.

No comments: