Saturday, May 9, 2009

cute story

Let me share a cute story that happened last week.

I was going into a village to meet a friend I haven't seen in awhile. He's a farmer, and lately has been 'rooting' his fields. They do this chore by hand with a hoe on a long stick, so it takes a lot of time to plow the field, put the piles together, and burn the piles. I haven't seen my friend in probably 2 months of visits, though I have spoken to others in his compound.

Today as I went I noticed quite a few changes. They have a new sewing boutique and are training some new workers there, including someone from my friend's compound. And interestingly enough, the boutique is there in this compound. So I spent time talking with the new workers and admiring their work so far. Then I talked with others as well.

It was getting time for me to leave, and I told everyone that I needed to go home because darkness was coming. But sure as I said that, those in the compound said, "no, wait, your friend's coming." So I waited, and sure enough, he came 10 minutes later. And while he showered up I waited outside under a tree.

Here's the interesting part. While I was waiting, I had 4 girls about 10 years old come up to me and ask about me being a Christian. So I shared briefly about my faith in Jesus, and that because I believe in him I believe that when I die I will go to heaven and live with him. They were fascinated, and wondered if I would drive my car when I go to heaven! So I laughed and said, no, I believe that when I die, Jesus will take me immediately to heaven. Then they asked about my prayer habits, how many times I pray, what I pray, how I pray. They wondered if I pray ritually like they do. Muslims bow prostrate when they pray, reciting a verse from the Koran as they do. I said, no, I simply close my eyes and say a simple prayer. And I did pray in Wolof how I would normally pray. I said something like, "Thank you, God, for this day, for my family who lives in America, and for my friends who live here in this village. I ask that you give them peace today. Amen."

At that time, my friend called me into his room, so I excused myself and went to meet him. The kids followed me in his room and after introductions were made they went back to asking more about my faith and praying. But my friend interrupted them and said, "we don't talk about that in here." I looked at him and said quietly that it's ok to me if they do, but his look back indicated that he was not ok with the conversation. So quickly the kids filed out of the room and I didn't get to say goodbye to them.

I am disheartened that this story ended this way. But I am very encouraged that the little influence I have had with this village and family has caused these kids to want to know more. I earnestly pray that they will continue to be hungry for truth from God's Word, and that they will find answers to their questions. I hope that I can talk more with them, too.

No comments: