Sunday, April 26, 2009

just friends

I think it has taken me until this month perhaps just to get comfortable with my role here as a missionary. Yes, that weighs heavy on me because it shows that I am not a fast learner. That'd be a good characteristic to have. Maybe I can find ways to improve on that. However, now that I've learned what my role can be here, I can own up to that more and define it with purpose. And that purpose is simply to be a friend to others here. There's other things that I can add to these relationships when the time comes. But my main objective with people is to be their friend.

So you may ask what I've been doing with my time? Well, I'm continually adapting to this culture, and I'm gaining friends by talking to new people each week. But my intent was to be sharing at some point with these contacts, and trying to schedule when appropriate times to share will be. Now, I'm just letting myself be more natual in the opportunities that are presented. I can't control opportunities, but one thing I can do is simply be a friend to others.

With that in mind, this month I've opened myself up to simply going out and visiting with friends that I am close to. Several of my neighbors call me over to visit or come and sit at my house themselves. I've enjoyed these visits so much. Within the visits I'm just being myself-joking with them, asking about their family, their day, their work or what they learn in school. And if the conversations drift to talking about God we will comfortably talk about that.

Now that I've said that, I do claim this as a victory despite it taking so long to get here. I do hope to stay comfortable in this role with those around me. And I hope that spiritually I will be strong enough to know when good times come available to stretch these friendships into sharing about my Father. Right now though, despite knowing that my friends are lost and have no knowledge of Jesus as their Savior, I wish to simply be a person that points to Jesus. I pray that one day they may come to know him. When that day comes, to God be the glory!!

No comments: