Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter

Things around here lately have been basically the same. I am starting to meet new neighbors but overall the conversations remain the same. So I was glad for Easter week to come! I really needed a break in the schedule as I could tell I was getting in a rut.

So I planned to take a weekend break to Dakar. Come to find out our missionary family had planned to have a egg hunt, games, and lunch together. We met and did this. Everyone brought something to share-some brought cake, desserts, fixins for hamburgers, drinks, chips, and people brought eggs for hiding and for the egg toss.

The games were a blast. We played red rover, duck duck goose, tug of war, we had an egg toss, and also hid eggs for the kids.

I'll first tell about the egg hunt. The kids divided into 3 group levels. Toddlers below 3 found eggs hidden in the grass and small shrubs. The 4-7 year olds found eggs hidden a little better-in tire swings, inside shrubs and flowers, and some more obvious hiding places. And then a lot of the adult men got to hide for the teenagers. I was a part of this hiding team, and we had a blast challenging them. We must have hid 30 eggs 6 feet off the ground or higher. I'm sure they thought they'd be finding eggs in the grass when the came out. But nope, we challenged them! I think I hid ten eggs 15 feet or so in a tree. It took them awhile but they did find them all once they learned what we did. They climbed every tree after finding the first few.

Lunch was really good. The host dad cooked hamburgers for everyone. We had baked beans, potato salad, and a few desserts for our meal. And the afternoon the adults got together for tug of war, and we sat around talking as well.

Oh, yes, the egg toss. That was interesting to be a part of and watch! My egg ended up hitting a tree. Some of the others did really well. And these eggs, though they weren't hard boiled, seemed to be pretty tough eggs! many of them hit the ground several times before breaking. And others broke in people's hands as they caught them.

It really was a super time together. I'm so glad we were able to do this.

No comments: