Wednesday, February 18, 2009

group from Arkansas

My team hosted a group recently from Arkansas. These were 2 Spanish-speaking pastors (who also speak English) that were coming for a vision trip to Senegal. After seeing the work that we are involved in, they will report back to their respective churches about the experience, and prayerfully consider future trips. And we pray with them that God will open doors for them to be involved in ministry here in Senegal.

I'd like to tell a little about their trip here and what we did together. Because of the magal to Touba we were not able to show them all that we are involved in. Our villages were vacant last week with everyone in Touba. But we did talk about possibilities of ministry. We shared with them ideas of how effective ministry can begin. Specifically we talked about starting a computer business, and used this platform as an example. Rather than setting up computers for people to come and learn about the technology, then 5 years later begin to share the gospel with those that are still involved, we can do both simultaneously. We can begin with the idea that if you want to learn about computers, you will also learn about Jesus. If it turns off people who no longer are interested in learning about computers, that's ok. But our focus is on sharing Christ-not teaching computers. And that needs to be the focus from the beginning.

We had a chance to learn about their families and their ministry through the time we spent together with these 2 pastors. They also were able to learn what brought us here to Senegal and how we first were interested in missions. I really enjoyed playing basketball with them. We played both days they were here. We also went for a walk in the market area, and they visited a family that lives here, saw my house, ate some very good rice and beef for lunch, and did some shopping.

I was very impressed with their willingness to share with others that they met. When we went shopping, for example, one prayed with the seller of goods. I was deeply touched by his desire to introduce God to this man and wanting to pray for him. That convicted me that I should pray with my friends more than I do. Certainly I pray for them, but I haven't taken the opportunity to pray with them recently.

This was a very good group of men. I hope that they are able to come back soon, and at the very least that our paths cross again. Thanks for lifting them in prayer as well.

No comments: