Wednesday, December 3, 2008

opps! forgot a story!

In writing my prayer update, I realized that I forgot to include a story from last month. Since I'm suggesting that details of all the stories I mention are in the blog, it'd be good to include this one!

One Saturday in November, my supervisor Elliott and I both went out into our surrounding community to do what he termed a 'prayer drive.' I'll give him credit for that, but I like that term. We were and will continue to drive the community with the purpose of mapping some of the nearby Wolof villages and hope to one day begin reaching into these villages. We'll probably try to do this 2x each month.

During this drive in November, we decided to take a turn off the road we were on to do some exploring. The road dead ended into a village. Seeing some men sitting together on mats under a tree, we got out and greeted them. After a few minutes they introduced the village chief to us, and he and Elliott had a nice conversation together. It turns out the village chief speaks very good English. He had been to NYC for 7 years and drove a taxi.

We talked briefly about the life they live in the village-school, work, farming, family. We also indicated to him that we would like to return and visit-even share stories and bring more friends to help assist them, if possible. He said that would be good and would look forward to talking again. So I am sure that Elliott and I will continue to work in this village. Please lift them up in your prayers. There is no doubt that God led us to this village as we would never expect to randomly find one village in the middle of nowhere on our first visit to have an English-speaking Wolof village chief who would be willing to work with Christian Americans in his village. Praise God for opening this door!

No comments: