Wednesday, November 12, 2008

more sharing news

I had one of those WOW moments last week when I was sharing. I have gotten to know my home owner and his family quite well, and go over to their house 2x a week to talk. Well, last week I was just beginning to learn creation to cross in Wolof, and we were talking about my language class being completed, my stories I am learning, and about Jesus. So as we were eating, one of the guys asked me point blank, "so how do you become a Christian?"

I'll let that sink in for a bit. It took me 2 days for that to really sink in. When he first said it, I honestly had that numb reaction, like, oh, this is just another question for him to understand me and understand the Christian religion. Also know that I ask them questions like this all the time, such as "what do you pray, why do you pray 5 times a day, when you die, do you know that you will go to heaven?" I want to understand Islam through their eyes. And I was guessing at first that this was where he was headed.

But to be honest, I have thought for awhile that this man may be a seeker. We usually have good conversations and if I stumble on words, he will say my sentence more clearly for me. So this family and this particular person certainly has potential! Please please pray with me as I continue to share with him. After we ate, I shared with him the creation story and the fall of Adam and Eve. Then I used that to introduce Jesus as the perfect sacrifice of all our sins. Then we talked briefly about that. It will take more time and more sharing, and I am going to take this slow. However, this was a great victory for Jesus, and I give him the praise for this story!

No comments: