Thursday, November 13, 2008

late language update

I failed to write much in my blog before my trip to Dakar. So you're getting lots of updates this week!

I wanted to write and tell you how my language evaluation went. It went ok, as ok can be expected. I was up the entire night before following the election, and that may have had a bit to do with my speech. I talked fine and used words well. But one thing I have been trying to practice is slowing my speech down, which I can do when I am fully alert. However, for just talkng in general, I talk fast and I don't concentrate on slowing my tongue down.

I received the same evaluation that I received in June, a level 2. A level 2 is what i am required to get. Yea, I, too, wonder why I kept going. Now I have evidence that this last 3 months was not effective, and I was pleading that for awhile. In ways it was hurtful, and in ways it was helpful for me in my language growth. I was able to review and use my language with an instructor. I do wish that he had told me when I was making mistakes.

My teacher critiqued me on the evaluation about some mistakes in pronoun usage that I had no idea I was making. And he told me that I was talking too fast-first time he has said that, but I have heard it from others. He talks fast too, so I was surprised he wrote that. The evaluation did show some good things. Teacher was impressed with my vocab, that was something I was most concerned about. The evaluation also showed me some things about my personality that I can still change and work toward improving. And I'm always up to being critiqued so that I can become a better person for everyone. Yes, I felt that the evaluation was low and a bit unfair. But I'm no longer thinking about that. It is what it is.

So that's the update. Language class is over! I have been asked to continue reviewing my notes as well as a learners book I have. So I will continue doing that. But thanks so much for the prayers that you have offered for my language.

No comments: