Monday, October 20, 2008

An Ngente

I crashed a party last week! It was a baby naming ceremony (ngente). The family are neighbors of mine, and I greet them often. When I was walking through the neighborhood I noticed the tent. The kids started calling my name, asking me to come, so I did. I did want to know more about the baby naming ceremonies.
First I went and greeted everyone, and I specifically asked for the father to greet and congratulate him. Then I made myself comfy, sitting with some other guys my age under the tent. We talked for a good while. About 2 they brought what I thought was lunch, but instead was porridge (lah). It didn't look too appetizing, but was surprisingly delicious. It's millet served with milk for a sauce, and it was fairly thick. They'd put a lot of sugar in it, too.
After the porridge we had the first cup of tea and talked for a good while. I left at 4 before the main dish was served. But I had a good time talking with people. I was even able to share what I do with a few of the men, and one man seemed especially interested in hearing more. I'd like to go back and visit with him, to see how interested he may be in hearing stories.

No comments: