Monday, October 20, 2008

Language update

For those of you that have been faithful to pray for my language progression, thank you! Communicating here is a daily chore, and I'm realizing now that I may never be as adequate a speaker as I would like. I thought that given 3 extra months of Wolof study would make me a much better speaker. And I know it only helped, but I am ready for a change!
After class today, I'm down to only 5 classes to go. Seems hard to believe that the time is already approaching for me to really begin my ministry here.
So I figured I'd reflect a little on what I do want to do in my ministry.
-I am still going out and saying hi to my friends. I have a welder, carpenter, farmer, and seller of goods that I would like to visit at least once a week. That sounds like a lot, but those are relationships that I want to continue working on.
-I am in the process of greeting my neighbors. I could do this for a year and not meet all my neighbors in the block. But I have a goal to sit and talk with one new neighbor a week. I'll do that until I feel that I've met with most of them.
-I do prayer walks around my neighborhood. I pray for the people, the kids, and the lives that they are living. I also pray for openness to share with them and for them to be interested in hearing stories.
-I will be sharing 2 stories a month starting in November. I'm praying for a specific place to share these stories. Maybe near the school at my house would be a good place.
-It seems Elliott and I will begin going to villages to share initially with the people of the villages. We'll be doing some survey work to get into these villages-finding out their needs, praying on their behalf, and sharing stories.
-And I want to go to my school once a week to talk with an English class for an hour. School starts next week, so I will go and find out if this is possible.

Sounds like a lot? It is. I like to have plans and I'll see how much of this I can tackle. A lot of this I can do in the same days. I am looking forward to using my Wolof. Simply talking with people is going to make my language improve dramatically. And I believe the new responsibilities in work will give me energy to accomplish most of this. Encourage me to persevere, and ask me how I'm doing with these goals. I look forward to reporting how things are going.

No comments: