Friday, September 19, 2008

who are you named for?

In America we really don't think much about who we are named for. Most parents pick names from a book that sounds unique or has a particular meaning, or maybe they give a child the name of a close friend. Some parents do give the honor of the firstborn son the name of his father. I was named for my father, and while I like my name and the honor of the comparison to Dad, I never really cared for being called "little Roy" as a child! Try telling a 12 year old boy that he's 'little,' he doesn't want to hear it!
Well, here in Senegal, the person you are named for is very important. When a baby is born, there is a celebration on the 8th day of it's life to celebrate the child's birth. At this ceremony (ngente), gifts are brought for the family. Mothers give the mother clothes, cloth, food, milk or various other items she can use, while fathers and men give the father money. The family serves a big lunch for everyone that comes, and after lunch there is the ceremony. I want to go to one to see all that is involved. I hear it is at the ceremony that the person the child will be named for (turandoo) has the highest seat of honor. S/he will be served first, s/he will present the child to the family, and will become a person of great influence to the child, much like we would consider a G0d-parent to be, I think. During the life of the child, the turandoo and child will exchange gifts and mentor/be mentored. So the turandoo is an important person to the person.
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet my turandoo. Some missionary friends introduced me to the owner of their house, who asked me for my Senegalese name. When I told him I didn't have one, he gave me the name of one of his friends. If I had met this person, I could have formed a close relationship with him.
So this is an example of culture here in Senegal that I wanted you to be aware of. Just a bit of random information. Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: