Thursday, September 4, 2008

The cat...didn't come back (warning, sad story)

I've told a few of you that I had a cat living in the yard lately. The mom cat had her litter in a brush pile I had in the side of the yard. Later in the month I noticed one kitten and the mom still hanging around the yard. They began to spend a lot of time here. I was ok with it, but told myself, "just don't feed the cat." The kitten began to grow. I enjoyed watching it play with crickets at night in the yard, and try to climb the tree. I'd shew it away when it tried climbing my front porch screen.
Well one day I was cleaning around the yard and walked up close to the cats. The mom hissed (wild cat, she always does that), and immediately started coughing. And I thought, oh no, she's sick while she's nursing. So my heavy heart decided to put some milk out for her. After an hour or so she was curious enough to try it, and drank probably 4 ounces-quite a bit. And as I put out the milk I was telling myself, 'now I'm attached.'
The next day, I'm driving my vehicle to Elliott's for church, and as I pack my things in the truck, the cats are on the truck. So I shooed them away. Then I start my vehicle and begin to back out of the garage. Keep in mind that this is a diesel truck with a loud engine. Well, the kitten came back, and yep, went right to the curious spot of the moving tire. Only the wrong side apparently. As I looked over the hood of my truck I could see it struggle for it's last breath-I'm not even sure what I ran over, maybe it's head. I wanted to cry, and I wanted to say some inappropriate words-I was mad and sad at the same time. So I buried the kitten. Mom cat saw the whole thing. After the burial she was looking all over for her kitten. Her kitten never came back. She was very sad for 3 days.
So that's the story of the cat. I'm not a cat fan, never have been. But I do have a soft spot for all animals (except snakes). I won't attach myself to cats because if I do I feed the neighborhood. It's the same reason I don't give money or loan money to anyone. I figured I would nurse the cat to health, and then no longer feed it, but I did get attached. I miss the kitten.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...I think I'm going to cry. poor kitty:(

Anonymous said...

I was just about to say that I hoped my siblings didn't see this, and my little bro was the first to comment!

Roy Thagard said...

I was actually thinking about you, Rhonda, Elizabeth, and Ronald, as I posted this. I know you all grew up with cats. I probably shouldn't have posted it? But yea it was a sad story.
But thank you all for keeping in touch with me and taking the time to read my stories. Love you!

sweettrisha74 said...

Oh Roy, that makes me sooo sad. You know how I love cats. I too am feeding a stray. He is cute as a button. I also have a new kitty of my own. Sorry things ended badly. He could have been alot of company for you. I love you.