Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Prayer Answered!

I had a huge prayer answered a few weeks ago. A friend of mine here in Mekhe who is a Wolof welder was talking with me as I introduced to him my guests. He met Justin, a youth pastor, and asked him what he did for work. I translated that he taught the Bible to youth. And my friend excitedly proclaimed, “can you teach me? I want to learn.” I was absolutely floored! So eagerly we set up a time to meet and tell stories.

The day we met, I translated the story of creation as well as the story of Adam and Eve and their sin. We talked specifically on the idea that Adam and Eve sinned just like everyone sins, we mentioned that God required a sacrifice from a living animal to pay for that sin-an innocent animal had to die. And we discussed that our relationship with God was broken because of that sin since Adam and Eve could not go back to the garden. It was a good lesson, and I will share more with my friend.
This was a great start into sharing with my friend. I look forward to going to his house and continuing to build this relationship with him. He has been given a Wolof New Testament Bible to have and read when he can. And although he has pushed aside the Word when his friends are around (which is what any Muslim would do culturally), privately he is eager to hear more stories. He knew these stories well, and was saying them to us in Wolof better than I could say them in Wolof. I do pray that together we may continue to share the truth about Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God! I have tears in my eyes, and I'm at work!

I have just read through all of your posts, and this is WONDERFUL!