Tuesday, July 7, 2009

prayer with a purpose

In planning a vacation, do you typically a) decide to go somewhere last minute, and whatever sounds like a fun time you do spur of the moment, or b) have to plan days, months in advance what to do, where to go, and budget accordingly? I'm in the B group. This weekend I tried to do the A group stuff, but I just didn't have a good time going with the flow. I give it up to those that can do things spur of the moment, I just can't do it!

That's much of my frustration these days. I do like clear direction, lists, direct supervision, and even pats on the back when a job is completed and well done. I've developed my time here as best I can to give me those times of approval. Some days I will only accomplish "see a friend" but know that because I spent time with that person, it was a day that I planted a seed about my faith.

By faith we know that God can move mountains. And we commit ourselves to be his hands and feet wherever we go. Prayer can and does open hearts and minds, and leads us to work through our faith.

The challenge is of course the work. And lately the work that my teammates have planned seem to be destroyed. I'll quote those that I know: unable to direct VBS camp in a village, forbidden to do basketball clinic, not given permission to do medical clinic. All those have in common these things: they happened this last month, to our Wolof team, and all were encouraged by those of authority just prior to the time the work was to begin.

The work, the best made plans, has seemingly fallen through. You can only imagine the disappointment that I feel. Yes, I know the first step in being a worker of God is to be flexible (if I had a nickel every time I've heard or said that myself). But I'm starting to test my elasticity these days. Elasticity measures the flexibility of an object. If it is elastic, it can be stretched and after tension releases it comes back to it's original shape. A rubber band is often thought of in this way as being very elastic. My elasticity is being tested, how will I bounce back form this? I'm not sure that I'm ready to make new plans in work. I'm not sure that I have my optimistic frame of mind when we break the huddle of the next plan.

So I'm brought back to prayer. And prayer with a purpose. My purpose in writing this is to inform you how you can pray for our Wolof team and for missions as a whole. This is my prayer today:

"God, you know the hearts of these people. You call them to yourself just as you died to all people. Lord, I admit that I am just a child, your child, who does not understand all of your ways. My desire, Lord, is that one day the Wolof people will come to know you. I know many are working among them today who may also be like me and feel discouraged. Open my eyes, Lord, and help me to listen to your calling upon my life. Allow me to be better molded and used by you today and these next 4 months to be your servant for the Wolof. Encourage others like me to continue in their work that you have ordained in their lives to do. May this be pleasing to your sight. Amen"

You all know that I don't like to sound discouraged. And I don't intend to be. My elasticity is going to test well, I am still very optimistic. It takes time to work among Mslim believers. Please pray for our next team. They arrive this week and will be here for 2 weeks. I look forward to working with them and will write you stories about their trip after they have visited. Until then!

No comments: