Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June ministry update

This year really has gone by fast. And with that I know my time left here is going to continue to zoom by. So I know to be intentional about what I do and who I speak with as my time winds down.

I'll first share briefly about my 3 neighbors. I have 3 separate people whom I'm beginning to develop good relationships with. One is a welder that lives in front of me. He is always asking about my guitar and inviting me over to his house for evening tea. I have been a few times and talked with his parents as well as him, just sharing casual conversation. It has dawned on me that I should tell him more about my guitar and why I have it. I brought it to lead worship songs, and he'd be delighted to hear that I use it when I sing to God.

A young man who lives in a village close by but stays 2 houses down from me and I have been talking a lot lately about a lot of things. One day I noticed that he wasn't getting ready for their friday prayer time-which is the most sacred time to pray for Muslims. I'd be similar to a devoted Christian not going to church on Sunday morning. So I asked him, "aren't you going to go and pray." he replied, "no I want to be a follower of Jesus, like you." Well, this floored me. And I wondered what level he was speaking on. Does he see me as a lazy believer, never seeing me pray and thinking that it must be easy to be a follower of Jesus? Or was he serious? I haven't had a moment alone with him to ask more as he's been away since that weekend, but in weeks to come I do plan to speak to him more about my faith.

Another neighbor who lives just next door and I have been talking a lot this week and the week before. He visited 2 separate villages with me and fell in love with some of the girls in those villages! He also has heard me share briefly about my faith to these people, and yet he still enjoys hanging around. So my work hasn't scared him away. I plan to develop this relationship so that he truly hears the gospel message and can choose for himself whom he will serve.

On that note, I plan to spend some time with each of these people this month and next. My other goal is to work in 2 separate areas sharing stories in villages that I come to. I would like for the people that I visit to know the God I serve, hear the gospel message, and hear it clearly enough to choose who they will serve. I pray that God will motivate me to share-this is going to be a big task. But I am confident that by his grace he can use me to speak to these people.

We have volunteer teams coming this month that will also assist in sharing stories to these villages. One group is coming for story telling and prayer walking June 5-12. Another group comes the 15-22 to do a medical clinic. Please lift these groups up in your prayers. And please pray for me to continue sharing about our risen Lord!

No comments: