Saturday, June 28, 2008

Language Learning

It was a fast 3 months of language learning in Dakar. I didn’t think that I would ever get a chance to start learning Wolof for all the struggles that I had in finding a teacher, and then even when I came here to Dakar the teacher missed 3 days in 2 weeks-and this is a teacher who has the reputation to never miss a class. But thankfully it worked out and I received a strong 2 for my language evaluation. I believe I still need to work on improving my Wolof, but I wanted so desperately to stay in Mekhe to begin my ministry there. It is hard to minister in 2 places at once, and with time already ticking away, I was not happy about the thought of having to come back to Dakar after our volunteer groups leave in July.
Well, praise God, he answered both of those requests. Not only do I get to stay in Mekhe, I get to continue learning Wolof while living there and working in ministry. Here’s the schedule. For 3 days a week I will have class 9-12. For the afternoons I will study and cook and rest, as well as visit when I have the time. And for 2 days a week I will have the chance to begin ministry in Mekhe. I have set a goal to actually do ministry for one day a week, and the other day I will be working on learning one story a week in Wolof. I’ll probably translate it on paper and begin reading it aloud to myself to learn the vocabulary words. I don’t have to say it the same each time, but I do want to hit the main points in each story I share.
God is good and I am go grateful that he answered this request. I admit to being angry when I thought I would have to come back to Dakar in August. Then I had an amazing peace about the situation shortly after. This week, as Elliott and I had a chance to discuss the future, he told me this was available and I jumped for joy. Praise God for answering prayer.

No comments: